Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cherry Blossoms and a Night with the Masters

On the first day I arrived here, I was so taken aback by the billowing pink Japanese cherry blossoms that surround Notre Dame just down the street from my apartment. Everywhere I went, I couldn't stop thinking about these overflowing, gushing bushels of pink, cotton candy flowers. This morning when I woke up, I had a sneaking suspicion that they wouldn't be in prime time much longer, and the blooms were probably at their peak now. Daryl, if you're reading this, I dedicate this painting to you - this is probably one of your favorite fleeting sights in Tokyo.


Let me tell you - as soon as you get out a paintbrush in public in Paris you become a major spectacle, 95% of which are wide-eyed children, trying to get their parents to stop and let them watch for a little. Precious.





This painting is a little silly and I have to admit I'm self conscious of it. It was so out of control, so childish, so... pink. But I was so lost in the moment when I was painting them, that the outcome didn't matter.

The Louvre was open until 10 PM tonight - so I took myself on a date to spend an evening with all my favorite paintings. I had butterflies.


This will be the first of many trips to the Louvre, so I spent most of the time with the Dutch and French painting wings, intending to visit others later. The paintings that impacted me are too many to list here, but below are some highlights. (excuse the glare - taken with my iPhone). There are two rooms full of expansive Nicolas Poussin paintings and countless Rubens' and a few little Vermeer gems.











I finished off the night with an evening snack at 'Les Deux Magots', the historic cafe where Earnest Hemingway and Ezra Pound and many other literary figures hung out. Of course, it is overpriced and very "old money" now, but it was fun to imagine being there amidst "The Lost Generation" in the 1920's.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Paris, France

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Adrienne, I am reading this of course! It is awe inspiring to see what you are doing in this adventure in painting. The Cherry Blossoms, or Sakura as they are known in Japan are in full bloom in Tokyo too. You would be amazed by the sheer beauty of these trees. White and pink canopies of soft petals line the lanes and canals of Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete